3.15.2012

Musings From the Art Room

Last session in after school art was all about clay.  I personally love working with clay.  It was one of my favorites in college actually.  I've never done a wheel, just hand building.  For some reason however, half the time I make clay projects with wee ones they explode, limbs fall off or otherwise they just turn out gross.  Literally in the kiln they tend to explode into millions of clay pieces.  It sucks.  And I know the exact reason why.  But no matter how much I explain it to the kids, they never get all the air bubbles out or score it enough, or dig out the excess like demonstrated.

Until this project.  I've got so many kids in the program that Monday is K/1, Tuesday 2/3 and Wednesday 4/5.  The Wednesday group is the oldest, and the smallest group in numbers, so I decided to go for it and seriously hand build.  And boy am I glad we did!!!  Just look below at our delightful cakes and pie treats!!

             






 In fact my sample is nothing compared to their delightful creations!  I've got Mailey's at home on a beautiful vintage milk glass cake stand.  I love it.

8 comments:

Tammy Gilley said...

So, so VERY fun! I'd like a slice, please! xo

Jill said...

I love working with clay too. Those are so very beautiful! I think I want some for my kitchen!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Those are gorgeous...Wowza!

mama bleu said...

These are so over-the-top adorable!!

Lori said...

OMG these are wonderful!! My step-daughter once made a piece of cake tea pot that I wanted soooooo badly but it is at her mother's house. Wish she could have made two!!!

debra mejia said...

These are so fun! They look great!

This Moment said...

What fun, whimsical and adorable creations! What a great piece to have to look at somewhere of prominence in your house. So sweet!

Jill

Linda said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails