8.12.2012

First Week of School

Well, the first week of school came and went just like that!  Wow.  Only 175 days to go.  Haha.  Seriously, I've got a much better perspective on things than at this time last year.  If you recall, this time last year we were packing and moving from our home of 16 years.  I was starting a new job, Billy was still a legislator being pulled a million directions and William started middle school.  I think back on the month of August last year and wonder how the heck I made it through.  Oh, there was the crazy weight loss too.  Can't imagine why!!!  Basically this time last year sucked.  Somehow we muddled through and my first year back teaching was a success.  This year though.....man I've got my game on!! 

Here's how we started the year:

I talked to the kids about this quote a bit saying something about like this:  "Everyday you wake up, make the decision to put the right clothes on, make the decision to get to school on time and make the decision to be an active learner.  You make choices all day that continue to build your character.  And make you the person you want to be."  Then I told then we were going to add the petals to our sunflowers.
Each petal has the child's name and at least 4 goals they want to accomplish this year.  From being in the Olympics (wonder why that was a common goal amongst the youngsters?) to making their AR goal, the lists were unique and interesting.  What I found MOST interesting where the kids that didn't get it.  Had absolutely no idea how to dream big...had NO idea what they wanted to do with themselves for the year.  Had NO idea how to set a goal.  And that freaked me out.  I really don't have words to express how much it saddened me.  I know they are young, but still.  They should have the ability to dream.  Are we as parents doing so much telling that we are missing the chances for our children to simply dream?  I hope the seed I planted did a little something in their minds and will remember what I said. 
Because our little world still needs dreamers....lots of them. 

6 comments:

This Moment said...

You are a great teacher, so positive and inspiring...I bet those kids love having you for art. I love the quote and flowers--they must be uplifted everytime they see it.

Jill

Isabel said...

What a funa nd inspiring teacher you are!!! How lucky they are:O) Wow and first week already we start in 2 weeks:O) have a great year of teaching:O)

Artsy Matilda said...

Jenni, I LOVE this post! I remember watching a friend's 10 year old daughter while she was outside one day. She was so relaxed and comfortable with just lying in the grass, looking up at the sky, singing for herself and day dreaming. FOR HOURS! I was truly envious. It is so important to know HOW to do that! I think as adults we forget sometimes. But I am so glad you can put a spark in the children who don't come equipped with that option, and whose parents don't realize it. Blessings to you! Happy School Year!
Am so glad your year is starting out on a better "note" this year! xoxo

Dianne said...

Yes we must show them how to dream... I hope your year is filled with your students dreams...

Darcy said...

Good job - hope you have a great year!

nacherluver said...

LOVE!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails